Monday, May 23, 2011

Randi Rhodes: T-Yawn

Well, the world didn’t end this weekend. I guess I should mail off the cable bill. I wonder what all the true believers did when the world didn’t end. I imagine they’re WAY behind on a lot of things. They’re going to be busy over the next few days buying groceries, doing laundry, putting gas in the car, and cleaning house. Hey, if I’m going to meet Jesus in the sky, the last thing I’m going to spend time doing is keeping up on doing the dishes. All I know is, I bet that next year not too many people pay a lot of attention to Harold Camping’s Oscar predictions.

Newt Gingrich was back on the Sunday talk shows this weekend. Newt was still trying to walk back his “right wing social engineering” comments. At this point, he’s not so much walking the comments back as he is walking them in circles.

Tim Pawlenty announced his candidacy
. And he managed not to yawn. I don’t know if I can say that for everybody. Tim Pawlenty may be the best chance the Republicans have. That’s good news for Tim Pawlenty, and bad news for Republicans.

Meanwhile, Mitch Daniels has decided he doesn’t want to be the one to lose the 2012 presidential election. Mitch may have bowed out because his wife was facing some very intense scrutiny. Mitch, just do what Newt Gingrich would have done in such a situation… dump her! Mitch and his wife Cherie were married, divorced, and then remarried. That could be tricky for a candidate—Mitch Daniels actually flip-flopped on his own spouse.

And Herman Cain has to be the worst presidential candidate since Charles Foster Kane. In an interview with Chris Wallace on Fox News, Herman Cain clearly had no idea what the phrase “right of return” means when discussing the Israeli/Palestinian issue. It was what pundits call a “Sarah Palin moment.” Now, I don’t blame you if you don’t know what it means. But I won’t support you for president either. A few hours after his disastrous performance on Fox News, Herman Cain issued a “clarification” on his views about the “right to return.” In other words, he said how he feels about it now that he’s had the chance to look up the phrase on Wikipedia.

Today’s Homework | Discuss

Just how phony was last week’s rightwing outrage over Obama’s Israel/Palestine remarks? Ask George Bush…

No comments: